top of page

What if there is no Will?

If someone dies without a valid will, the succession is known as an “intestate” succession. Under these circumstances, Louisiana has default rules as to who inherits decedent’s assets. In the absence of a valid will, decedent’s property will be transferred to decedent’s:

• Children, if none then to

• Parents, if none then to

• Brothers and Sisters; if none then to

• Spouse

Louisiana law also recognizes what is known as “representation.” Under “representation,” if the decedent had a child who died prior to decedent, the child’s children (decedent’s grandchildren) will inherit from decedent in place of their father or mother who was the child of decedent. “Representation” also occurs in favor of the children of decedent’s brothers and sisters.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page