top of page

Turn License Plate In?

In Louisiana, when you sell a vehicle, what do you do with the license plate?

In the “old days”, you had to bring the license plate to the Office of Motor Vehicles after the sale. You could also mail it to them. Those old school days are over.

The easiest thing to do with the license plate now is to just go online to the OMV website HERE. You will then click on the link that says “Notice of Vehicle Transfer” HERE. Then you fill out all of the information. You will need to know the vehicle plate number, VIN, your driver’s license number, the buyer’s name and address, and the amount of the sale. When you finish it, that’s it. You can just destroy your plate, or mail it in if that makes you feel better.

To repeat, if you are selling a car, ATV, mobile home or motorcycle in Louisiana, you don’t have to wait in line at the OMV to turn the plate in. Just go to the OMV website, report the sale, and destroy the plate. Super easy!


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page